[[ This message was both posted and mailed: see
   the 'To,' 'Cc,' and 'Newsgroups' headers for details. ]]

On Wed, 25 Apr 2001 14:43:45 -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote
(in message <9c75t1$rcq$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>):
> If I owned a domain (which I don't) and it was being misused in this manner,
> I would do two things:  Contact a lawyer about the possibility of suing the
> spammer for damages caused by his misuse of my domain, and contact local
> authorities about the possibility of bringing criminal charges of fraud or
> forgery against the spammer for falsely using your domain name.

And which of the hundreds of people doing this would you sue?  And where 
would you find a lawyer who would take the job on retainer?  If you're a big 
ISP you might be able to show enough damages to justify the cost--but I doubt 
you'll get more out of a spammer than you paid in fees.  Forget it if you're 
a small company.

I don't know why they call it a Joe-job, I'd be very surprised if it happened 
to "Joe" before it happened to somewhere.com, we were getting bogus email 
bounces back in 1995 (initially due to an amusing glitch in Unix mail 
programs, but the spam didn't take long to follow).  

For what it's worth, here's what we did.  Unfortunately some of these 
solutions were more likely to work when the internet was a more trusting 
place.

1. Put a prominent link on your front page explaining the situation.  That 
will help nip some complaints before they get sent to you, and if nothing 
else, you can refer to it in #2.

2. Come up with a standard reply to complaints that explains the situation.  
Explain how they can use the email headers to figure out what's going on.

3. Try very hard not to get angry at SpamCop users who just check off all the 
email addresses without really looking at the recommendations.  I used to 
despise SpamCop.  Not to mention the vigilantes who mailbomb you in 
retaliation.  Them, I still despise--nothing worse than a stupid vigilante.

4. Go after the spammers hard.  I woke spammers up at 3:00 in the morning.  I 
had come-to-jesus talks with spamming ministers.  I spent (and still spend) a 
lot of time trying to really track down the spammer and make it real 
personal. My goal was to get them angry at the people who sold them the 
software, so that the people who wrote the software would change the address 
defaults.  As I said, this was far easier in the old days when many spammers 
really didn't have a clue that they were doing something wrong.

5. Accept the fact that it will never truly be gone.  Oh, you may get the 
spammers to stop using the domain--I don't see spam with somewhere in the 
headers more than once every few months nowadays, and almost never in the 
envelope-from headers (that's where it really hurts--you haven't been 
mailbombed until you get all of AOL's mail servers sending bounces at you as 
fast as they can).  I still have ISPs that bounce my email because they set 
up a rule to bounce somewhere.com four years ago and they have no policy for 
removing rules.  And by the way, all those spammed messages with fake return 
addresses?  Now they are going to end up in some spammers list of addresses.  
We bounce more than two million email messages every year (See 
http://www.spamwatcher.com/tools/realtime.html for a running report.)

But hey, at least you can feel like you're fighting the good fight.

_______________________________________________
SpamCop-Help mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://news.spamcop.net/mailman/listinfo/spamcop-help

Reply via email to