Hi Mike,

As Matt says, it's mostly a matter of somebody deciding they want to take
that on.  It's unlikely to be any current TPP developer, we're already
hands-full.

The working assumption is that windows user are almost certainly not
programmers, but linux users are probably at least able to download and
build stuff out of previous necessity.  If you've spent much time with linux
packaging systems you're already aware that it's not a magic bullet - you
can get tangled up in the linux equivalent of DLL hell in no time flat and
wind up building from source anyway.

We do actually link statically to boost, perhaps you are working with some
older code?
The big problem we experienced with boost packages is that on some distros
they're just too out of date.  The ProteoWizard library that TPP uses for
mzML handling demands a pretty current boost (in some cases even using
as-yet-unreleased boost features!), in the end just building it seemed the
easiest route.

Brian