Hi Mike,

Thanks for your efforts with helping Eliza, and for your good thoughts
and comments.  I'd like to respond to a few things:

1) Boost in the TPP: I'd like to clarify how we've set things up.  The
included Boost under tpp/extern is compiled and used without any
system interactions (at least, that's the idea, and works as described
for us on our tested linux systems: Centos 5.2, Ubuntu 8.10, 9.04 and
9.10).  That is, like the ProteoWizard project, and our use of expat,
we don't install anything to your system directory.  The Boost library
is a valuable addition to standard C++, but between changes to their
API and build issues between Boost point releases, we have found it
necessary to fix the TPP's dependency at a specific Boost version.
It's simply too difficult to support Boost dependency issues on all
the different distributions if we rely on (hopefully) existing distro
Boost packages.  There's no extra work for you to do.

2) Separating dependencies out of the TPP: This is a great idea, which
also requires a more robust built system that can deal with ensuring
correct library versions are installed, and adapting to different
library installation schemes (names and locations) on different
distros.  To this end I'm currently working on improving the build
system to meet these requirements.  When that work is completed
(probably for TPP 4.4) making use of libraries installed through the
traditional methods should be much easier, as should be building the
TPP on various distributions.

Natalie