hey luis,

nice to hear from you and many thanks for your fast answer!
unfortunately this does not do the trick :-(

i renumbered the scans starting from 1 (for ms1 and ms2 in ascending order),
ran indexmzXML on the file (successfully) and
tried 'MzXML2Search -mgf' afterwards.
and then MzXML2Search fails with an segmentation fault:

$ /usr/local/apps/tpp/bin/MzXML2Search -mgf  modified.mzXML

output mode selected: Mascot Generic Format
 MzXML2Search - Mascot Generic Format

 Reading modified.mzXML
 Getting the index offset
 Reading the index