What is the purpose of the msRun startTime attribute? It's an xsd:duration type so using it to store a point in time seems odd. But the documentation "The time at which the run was started." clearly seems to refer to a point in time.

Andrew, a straightforward compromise here is to use msconvert to write out just the file header and the first spectrum in mzML. Something like 'msconvert data.RAW --filter "index 0"' should do the trick. Then a simple grep/regex over the file should get you the startTimeStamp.

Hope this helps,
-Matt

trl1 wrote:
Thanks for the pointer!  Unfortunately, I am using xcms (1.21.7 under
R 2.11.1/bioconductor 2.6) to read the .mzXML files, which does not
currently support reading .mzML files in the release version - I think
it is possible with a custom development build (http://
metlinwiki.scripps.edu/mediawiki/index.php/EnableMzMLSupport) , but
not (easily) under Windows, which is what I will be using.....