Hi Drummond,

DR> ... if there is any record at all of any association between these
DR> two identities, ...

double-blind anonymous authentication solves this problem.  The RP
knows nothing more about you besides:
A) you're authenticated, and/or
B) you've been here before (eg: have signed up for an account)
The IdP knows merely
C) That you wanted to log in somewhere

The RP does not know your ID or even your IdP, and your IdP does not
know what site you logged in to.

I have a working proof-of-concept that I demonstrated to a few people
some months back, let me know if you've not seen it, and I'll send
over the URL

In a nutshell - this relies on uniform "nonce" formats and asymmetric
cryptography (so the RP and IdP can "talk" between one another without
making any actual contact - the browser and/or user "carry" the
authentication payloads forth and back without referrer URLs or any
other info that can link the 2 sites (RP/IdP) together).

Besides all that - the normal "use case" for an IdP in OpenID world
(remember: decentralized) will be someone running some open-source
code on their own server, so trust in this instance *is* boolean: at
least in so far as if there's anything for someone to not be
trustworthy about themselves for - it won't be the fault of their IdP
code PROVIDING their IdP has provided them with IdP-initiated logins
in order to allow this user to protect their own privacy in the first
place.

Court orders are what I termed "3.5. Authorized exploitation" in my
threat list, and "insider leaks" I called "1.3.6. physical attack of
server resources (eg: server/hosting-facility compromise)" - there's
another 98 other threats to keep in mind here as well:-
http://chrisdrake.com/Comprehensive_list_of_Threats_to_Authentication_Procedures_and_Data.html

While your example might seem extreme, the consequences are also
extreme (or fatal, if you live someplace like China) - which is why I
take privacy so seriously.  Stick "Himalayas video" into google news
if you want to watch what Chinese do to their own people when found
trying to visit the Dalai Lama.  Now - how comfortable are you with
the idea of letting 1.5 billion Chinese people use OpenID without
making it easy to help them protect their own privacy ?

There's a big picture here, and it's not about meeting some arbitrary
deadline or saving a day or two of coding work - it's about producing
something that works, and can be deployed ethically.

Take a long hard look at that Nun lying dead in the snow, then tell me
you still believe there's no need for IdP-initiated privacy protection
in OpenID.

Kind Regards,
Chris Drake,
=1id.com