I've been tracking OpenID auth from 1.0 with great interest.  Last
summer Johannes Ernst explained to me how it was that one might use
openid to authenticate a non-interactive user agent such as a REST API
consumer by intercepting the RP's redirect and providing the info from
the IdP itself.  Given OpenID's design goals (decentralized,
lightweight, flexible identity management), and its seemingly
inevitable adoption into the mashup-minded web 2.0 ecosystem (God help
me I'm buzzwording!), it seems to me that OpenID's value is
significantly enhanced if the identities it enables can be used to
authenticate to SOAP and REST APIs as well as interactive web sites.

Having said that, I was surprised to note in draft 10 of OpenID Auth
2.0 that the HTTP redirect method of communication between the RP and
the IdP is deprecated in favor of an HTML forms-based approach.  This
suggests to me that OpenID Auth 2.0 is not compatible with REST or
SOAP or any other binding that doesn't involve the exchange, parsing,
and submission of HTML forms.

I'm curious why this decision was made, and if its implications have
been fully considered.  Has there been any thought given to an
alternative means of authentication, perhaps via custom HTTP headers
or some other non-HTML means?  If not, does this mean OpenID is not
intended to support authentication to programmatic APIs?

Thanks,
Adam