On Nov 17, 2006, at 1:24 AM, Dick Hardt wrote:

> Hi John
>
> So that a message can be more then 2K of data.

Is it possible to update the language so 1) we don't deprecate HTTP
redirects and 2) the form redirect method is described as the
preferred/recommended approach, but is not required? You could even
stress that HTTP redirects should only be used when the HTTP client's
capabilities/limitations would adversely affect the application
behavior (or user experience, whatever language is more appropriate
for the spec) if form redirects were attempted.

I agree with John on the basis that not all HTTP clients will have JS
functionality, whether disabled or unavailable, and whether we can
imagine what those clients would be or not (blackberry, mobile phone,
iPod, Nike running shoe, car keys). The choice to deprecate HTTP
redirects involves some assumptions that seem too broad:

1) Payloads will be > 2K often enough that there is little value in
supporting more than one way to redirect 2) JS will be available to
automate the user experience, or at least that automating the user
experience isn't that important.
3) Deprecating functionality already built into the key spec (HTTP),
that is already in use in OpenID 1.x, is preferred to supporting it,
even though form redirects will involve more moving parts and specs
(ECMA / JS) to maintain the same basic user experience.

What do you think?

Dick, do you have a list of the browsers you tested against?

Matt

Matt Pelletier
http://www.eastmedia.com -- EastMedia
http://www.informit.com/title/0321483502 -- The Mongrel Book