On 18-Nov-06, at 2:25 PM, John Kemp wrote:

> Dick Hardt wrote:

>>> My point is that an implementation can offer BOTH profiles, and
>>> in cases
>>> where it's likely that the browser cannot do JS, it's possible
>>> for the
>>> RP to attempt one instead of another. Again, this is about being
>>> tolerant of different browsers.
>>
>> The POST methods meets all the requirements with a degradation in
>> user
>> experience for browsers without JS.
>> If the user is running a browser without JS, then lots of other sites
>> will not work well given the proliferation of JS in sites.
>> This also keeps it simple for the RP since it is not having to guess
>> what the user agent can do.
>>
>> We weighed all the options and moving to POST was the decision. I
>> have
>> not seen any new data that would lead me to change my position.
>
> But why deprecate support for redirects? I'd (still) like to see
> OpenID
> implementations that do support browsers without JS turned on .

As stated a number of times, because the payload is not big enough
with GET redirects. It is with JS POST redirects.

OpenID 1.1 did not have a large payload. We expect the payloads to be
much larger with OpenID 2.0.

We will see if the JS requirement is an issue. I do not think it is
given what I know now.

-- Dick