> Great start on the Wiki. Note that there are some efforts in IETF for
> enhancing what can be done at the TLS layer for authentication which
> would enable the same mechanism to be used not only for HTTP, but for
> SMTP, POP3, IMAP ...

Hmm, that's intriguing; I wasn't aware of that.  Do you have a pointer
to some work product?

> Also, most REST implementations have a process for acquiring a token,
> and then including that token in the XML message. What do you think
> of tweaking the existing OpenID Authentication response so that the
> RP returns a token for use in later calls?

Interesting.  So, you're suggesting the owner of an identity provision
an API key interactively using the existing authentication mechanism,
and subsequent non-interactive REST API calls would use this API key
to authenticate?  Or am I misunderstanding?

I had considered that, and it would certainly work, but what I found
unfortunate about that arrangement is that the authentication of the
identity is decoupled from the API calls themselves, so the user
couldn't, for example, revoke permission to use her identity with that
API, since an API key would already be provisioned.  Of course, the
API keys could have expiration dates, but that opens up its own
usability problems.

I guess another way to look at it is that the API key is conceptually
equivalent to a cookie used by an RP to preserve authentication state
with the user agent.  The difference to my mind is that, when the
cookie expires, the user can reauthenticate, so an expiration of 30 or
60 minutes is probably reasonable, but when an API key expires, the
user agent has no way to re-authenticate without parsing some HTML and
composing a POST to the IdP, which is the arrangement I'm hoping to
avoid.

Adam