On 6-Apr-07, at 10:34 AM, Johannes Ernst wrote:
>> Well, as one of the people that wrote the documents. We decided that
>> having separate documents was better. Thanks for sharing your
>> opinion. I have a different opinion.
>
> For somebody who currently doesn't have an opinion on this subject,
> could you briefly describe the rationale for your view?

If I'm only interested in moving attributes around (the current case
of the OpenID libraries), I am not interested at all what the
semantic of the attributes are, just in moving them from A to B. I'll
let the parties at the both ends of the transaction look up the
metadata and handle them based on that.

On the other hand when I read a (new) spec it's a lot easier for me
if there are clearly outlined components with which I don't
necessarily have to deal at the same time; especially if the
components have other uses beside the initial combination.

These two seem to have been the rationale of the recent discussions
about splitting the OpenID spec into core/discovery/etc., which
seemed to make sense to a number of people (I'm just not sure if it's
worth / good tactical move at this stage....).

Johnny