Yes, I think an RP may want different identifier types for different use
cases.  But the RP discovery XRDS can handle that just fine by having two
different return_to URIs in the XRDS, one that accepts each type of
identifier.  Each return_to URI, after validating the assertion, would
forward the user on to whatever use case consumes that kind of login.
--
Andrew Arnott
"I [may] not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death