----- Original Message -----
From: "C A Tomy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <speedtouch@ml.free.fr>
Sent: Saturday, September 08, 2007 7:30 PM
Subject: [speedtouch] Re: Speedtouch and LAN with static IP and Gateway

> I suppose in his reply to my initial posting, Duncan was telling me how
> to set up a speedtouch-usb connection with static ip and gateway using
amarpd.
Read the first answer made by Duncan
It start with
This assumes your ISP is using "routed ip".
It is probably not the case.

> When I tried this method, though I failed to ping, at least I do not get
> the error "network not reachable". But I have so far not been sucessful
> with this method.
> So, it seems the other option that is left for me PPPoA.

No
First PPPoA like PPPoE is always used with a login / password.
If you do not have both, this is the sign that it is not the protocol you
use.
Have you tried bridged ethernet and static IP?

br2684ctl -b -c 0 -a 8.35 &&
ifconfig nas0 10.200.3.190 netmask 255.255.0.0
route add default gw 10.200.1.1
ping 10.200.1.1

ping 209.85.129.104

ping www.google.com
> That takes me back to my original posting.
> How to confiure PPPoA connection with static IP and static gateway.
That's never done that way.
Usually, you are authentified with your login / password.
Depending of the ISP settings, you receive an IP that is always the same or
a different oneat each time.

> I know that I can give static IP of my mechine in /etc/ppp/options.
Yes theorically like you may have a ppp session without login /password.
But we never saw an adsl ISP configured like that.
There is a technical reason to authentification the connection on a network
shared by different ISP.
Authentification allow to redirect the traffic to the ISP corresponding
where the user have payed for.

> But where to give static gateway? And if it could be given, what is the
syntax?
Gateway is usually received from ppp negociation.
Consider that if you don't have a login / password, you do not have
PPPo(A|E)

Gilles