Jimmy,

Attic design has been a real pain in the backside ever since NFPA 13 created
the special criteria.  I'm not ragging on the new criteria - changes were
needed because the standard spacing rules didn't adequately protect typical
attic spaces.  But none the less, the new criteria can make you pull your
hair out.  

The short answer:  in some attic spaces (particularly narrow spaces with
multiple slopes), you can't follow all the criteria.  You and the AHJ are
forced to make an engineering judgment call as to what criteria to meet and
what criteria to let slide.  And, no, 'attic sprinklers' aren't the magic
bullet if the space isn't framed per the sprinklers listing.  

The longer answer and a bit of a soapbox:   Did I say engineering judgment
call?   It's a good thing all us designers (ops, a politically incorrect
term) and AHJ's are PE's.  Otherwise we wouldn't be allowed to make an
engineering judgment call.  Unfortunately, we don't have a choice so we do
the best we can - just don't let your insurance company know.  Personally, I
place a higher priority on the location and spacing of sprinklers that are
away from the eave, and a lower priority on the location & spacing of
sprinklers near the eave.  

I'd love to submit a proposal for the next 13 revision, but I really don't
know how to fix it.  I can envision an attic design criteria ballooning from
4 paragraphs (07 edition) to a dozen or so.  Making it more complicated is
not the answer, but forcing designers (with greatly varying degrees of
engineering aptitude) to make an engineering judgment call isn't the answer
either.

Ed Kramer
Littleton, CO



> Good Monday morning (at least out west) to all.  I have a question I'd
> like
> to pose.  It is both practical and somewhat hypothetical.  This sort of
> relates to a question from the other day, and I didn't really catch the
> general consensus of the group.  Anyway, on to the predicament.  In an
> attic
> space, or open wood truss space, with a pitch of 4 in 12 or greater,
> 8.6.4.1.4.3, dictates a minimum of six feet from the eave, measured
> along
> the slope.  What do you do when you have a hip at one end of the
> building?
> For example, I have a project where to maintain the six feet from the
> eave,
> I must be 5'-8.25" from the eave, measured horizontally.  This distance
> leaves me 8'-5" from the corner of the building before crossing the hip,
> and
> being under a different slope.  What about this uncovered area?  Do you
> violate the rule with one sprinkler and pitch it to cover both areas?
> Do
> you violate the rule with two heads and install a baffle?  Does NFPA
> have
> any recommendations? Do the experienced designers have any
> recommendations?
> Hopefully I explained this all well enough for everyone to understand.
> I
> would be more than happy to send a .pdf to anyone interested in
> contacting
> me off-line.
> 
> 
> 
> Thanks,
> 
> 
> 
> Jimmy Waite
> 
> Burtell Fire Protection, Inc.
> 
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> 
> (406) 652-7697

_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum

To Unsubscribe, send an email to:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(Put the word unsubscribe in the subject field)

Reply via email to