The 2007 edition of the international fire code has a similar requirement
forest Wilson
Cherokee fire

From: "Ron Greenman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 21:00:40
To: <sprinklerforum@firesprinkler.org>
Subject: Re: Recalled sprinklers

Gregg,

To my understanding, yes. This was included to compel owners to
replace recalled sprinklers of any type. The voluntary recall did not
mean replacement was voluntary on the part of the owner, nor even
voluntary on the part of Tyco. Voluntary meant that Tyco would take it
upon themselves to replace these heads without a mandate from the
Consumer Product Safety Commission. The advantage to Tyco was that by
voluntarily agreeing to replace the recalled heads Tyco would retain
control of how that would be done. That is Tyco could determine
timetables. Think about if you have manufacturing capacity that is
adequate to produce a number of heads per year that bring in dollars
and you have to now manufacture 33 million more that you're going to
give away--wouldn't it be nice to control the distribution yourself
rather than having a government agency decide for you? Had they not
been pro-active and allowed CPSC to mandate a recall then CPSC would
have been in control. That many of those heads (and other recalled
heads) were not actually changed is the driver for the NFPA 25
requirement you reference. Potentially bad heads, whether from paint,
corrosion, age or being missed during a recall still need to be
replaced.

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 9:31 AM, Gregg Key <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Greetings Formites,
>
>       I got into an interesting discussion yesterday concerning NFPA 25,
> 2008 edition 5.2.1.16 Sprinklers that are subject to recall shall be
> replaced per the manufacturer's requirements.
>
> Does this include the Central Sprinkler Voluntary Recall of the o-ring
> sprinklers?
>    Some discussion was had if this was a recall or replacement.
>
>  http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml01/01201.html

Ron Greenman
at home....