Limestone may be inert but belts, lubricants, bearings and motors are not !

British Steel suffered a £25m fire from a fire in a limestone conveyer in one of their plants which took the facility off line for almost three months.

The other problem is, define fire resistance: - Canadian Bureau of Mines? German DIIN ( three separate classifications for belts)? Japanese ?

My advice (based on what most international insurers now demand is to install sprinklers/deluge protection on all inclined conveyors which are essential for the operation of the facility. This is also covered in NFPA 850.

Stewart

Stewart Kidd

www.risk-consultant.com