Travis,

This product commodity falls within the same parameters as boat storage - there
is no prescriptive requirement to follow.
In fact, NFPA has issued a "statement" this particular type of storage
arrangement is outside the scope of NFPA-13.

That being said, I have done a fair amount of research into the PODS type
storage arrangements for my own education and can offer the following as a
starting point (guidelines) for your consideration.

(A) I spoke, at length, with Ms. Elley Klausbruckner at Klausbruckner and
Assoc. regarding the general requirements for this PODS type storage and
specifically about your particular type of storage arrangement. Ms.
Klausbruckner is a fire protection engineer and specializes in HPR risk
analysis and protection and has been involved in many warehouse storage
arrangements of this PODS/Crate type storage, including the brand name PODS
facilities.
(B) In all cases except one, they have designed the fire sprinkler system as an
Exposed, Unnexpanded, Group-A plastic commodity storage arrangement.
(C) In all cases except one, they have designed utilizing ESFR sprinklers,
unless the building construction prohibited the ESFR protection. In the
scenario where the building construction would not allow ESFR, they designed
utilizing the area/density method for the appropriate storage height.
(D) In the one case where they did NOT protect as a Group-A plastic commodity
the pods/crates were constructed entirely of wood. In this scenario they
required a letter from the owner of the facility that the amount of Group-A
plastics within the pods/crates at any time were less than 5% to 15% by weight
or 5% to 25% by volume. The crate itself was treated as part of the unit load
and the entire unit load was classified as a Class-IV commodity.
(E) For reference, upholstered furniture is classified as a Class-IV commodity
per the IFC 2303.5 (See IFC Figure 2303.7.4)
(F) Tyco Fire Products, per their own internal technical document also
indicates ESFR protection for PODS type storage that have plastic tops on the
containers.
(G) An analysis done by Rolf Jensen and Associates and written up in the 2006
Edition of Fire Protection Engineering Magazine suggests the use of ESFR
sprinklers for the Group-A plastics scenario as well, but also indicates a dual
design area/density as another design option.

I know some of our esteemed colleagues are still not entirely comfortable with
the determination of the protection schemes for this particular type of storage
and there is NO prescriptive direction from NFPA on the subject. However, they
have been and are being built all over the country and are being sprinklered in
some fashion. We can only provide the protection scheme that is most consistant
with the "experts" in our field, FP engineers with risk analysis experience,
and provide the protection scheme as determined by them.

The consensus from my personal research, at least at this point, is to protect
as an Exposed, Unexpanded, Group-A plastic commodity and provide ESFR
protection if the building construction allows.

I implore those of you with the expertise above and beyond what Travis and I
have to weigh in and provide your insights and experiences into this commodity
storage.

As always, have and AWESOME day!

Ray Vance - SET
Wayne Automatic Fire Sprinklers, Inc.