Then there's the alternative means and methods clause which pretty
much allows someone to decide gasoline in the pipes to keep them new
and shiny is OK as long as the AHJ approves it. Now gasoline is an
obvious no-no even when the AHJ is the dog catcher by day, crime
fighter by night & AHJ by hobby, but what about an abort switch if Mr.
PE says it's OK? Even a semi-savvy, over-worked AHJ might think water
damage in this "server" room might be devastating. The double
interlock pre-action system is obviously better than single (even
though designed originally for freezer warehouses--essentially an
extra slow dry pipe) and way superior to wet--that is if your goal is
to not stop fires but rather stop water damage. Then the abort switch
makes even more sense and allows the stockroom clerk, who is, after
all, on the scene, to make decisions about fire protection during an
emergency situation. And then there's the precedence of an abort
switch on the wonder gas system. Isn't the presence of the wonder gas
successfully used over and over to argue against the need for
sprinklers in rooms containing computers? The AHJ described above, not
savvy to UL 864 (after all, what does a fire alarm panel listing
protocol have to do with fire sprinklers?), just might be happy to
defer to the "educational" and "professional" credentials of Mr. PE.

Ron Greenman
at home....