I can almost guarantee wet lycra will not go anywhere in the early stages of
a fire.  Ever put a paper cup or plastic bag full of water in a fire?

Let's assume the first heads goes off without any delay.  Let's even assume
the lycra below the fire is gone.  These are reasonable assumptions given
the lightweight nature of lycra. Control mode sprinklers don't necessarily
attack the fire direct.  Much of the success is based on pre-wetting things
that aren't burning yet.  So as the fire spreads to areas under wet lycra
the overhead system is not pre-wetting this stuff.  The sprinklers are
suddenly playing catch up and we know they don't do so good playing catch
up.

Also keep in mind the diameter of the hot gasses rising are only about 5.5'
at the lycra level.  Your area for water getting to the floor may only be
5.5' in diameter or less if the lycra just shrinks away from the heat like
other plastics and doesn't release fully.  This is another reason I don't
think individual fusible links are the solution.  The lycra 1' beyond this
diameter will only be seeing ambient plus a little radiant, very little
given the orientation.

Here's a twist, this is also a good case where one should consider heads at
more than one level operating.

I have never had one of these so I speak theoretical.

Chris Cahill, P.E.
Fire Protection Engineer
Sentry Fire Protection, Inc.

763-658-4483