From: sprinklerforum-boun...@firesprinkler.org
[mailto:sprinklerforum-boun...@firesprinkler.org] On Behalf Of Hinson, Ryan
Sent: Wednesday, September 23, 2009 3:27 PM
To: sprinklerforum@firesprinkler.org
Subject: Post Indicators

Does anyone know of a post indicator that can be used in conjunction
with a 12" ball valve installed below grade?  I've been trying to find
one at the request of a customer for use as control valves for the
underground firewater piping of an industrial facility.  We've gone
around and around ad nauseam but they don't want butterfly or gate
valves because in their words they, "don't want to dig up the valve when
it no longer seals".  Ball valves that size normally require a ~3' long
handle and show the handle almost directly fastened to the valve body
itself.  Gearboxes could be used at valve level, but I still need to
extend the handle of the gearbox above grade in such a way as to
indicate the valve position.  Anyone out there with any experience with
this scenario?

Ryan L. Hinson, EIT, NICET III

Fire Protection Systems Designer, Aviation and Facilities Group

Minneapolis-St. Paul Office

Burns & McDonnell

8201 Norman Center Drive, Suite 300

Bloomington, MN 55437

Direct: 952-656-6003 Ext 3662

Fax: 952-229-2923

www.burnsmcd.com <BLOCKED::www.burnsmcd.com>

Proud to be one of FORTUNE's 100 Best Companies To Work For