And a CAF system might work but when talking about CAF, Vortex or Hi-X
the operative term is might. Is their an engineer willing to bet on it
and is there a NICET tech stupid enough to do engineering? Probably
yes to both but not me.

On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 11:11 AM, Matt Grise <m...@afpsprink.com> wrote:
> My understanding of boat rack fires (not a huge volume of knowledge) is that
> they can be successfully controlled/suppressed by systems that are designed
> to handle an equivalent storage of group a plastics...but that the racks
> generally collapse because the boats fill with water. Even when boats are
> wrapped or covered, the covers burn off quickly enough, and it only takes one
> boat-load(ha ha) of water to bring a hot rack down. (bob kaputo and james
> lake hit on this topic at the conference last year)
>
> I liked the idea of a vortex system. I saw a pretty cool presentation about
> those this week. They hardly use any water and don't have trouble with
> obstructions. A high-expansion foam system would probably do the trick too...
> if you don't mind a huge-normous up front cost of installation.
>
> And yes, in my professional opinion, "huge-normous" is a legitimate
> description of the cost.
>
> Matt Grisé PE*, LEED AP
> Sales Engineer
> Alliance Fire Protection
> *Licensed in KS & MO
>
> 913.888.0647 ph
> 913.888.0618 f
> 913.927.0222 cell
> www. AFPsprink.com

Ron Greenman
Instructor
Fire Protection Engineering
Bates Technical College
Tacoma, WA

Member:
AFT WA 4184/AFL-CIO, SFPE, ASCET, NFPA, AFSA, NFSA AFAA, NIBS, WSAFM, WFC