From: sprinklerforum-boun...@firesprinkler.org
[mailto:sprinklerforum-boun...@firesprinkler.org] On Behalf Of
craig.pr...@ch2m.com
Sent: Wednesday, August 24, 2011 10:08 AM
To: sprinklerforum@firesprinkler.org
Subject: RE: Engineers Stamp vs. Seal

I've found this in some of our old specs and have tried to clean it up
whenever I can.  However since the specifications are corporate wide and I
don't see every project there are still some that I'm sure have verbiage to
this affect.   Not trying to start a bashing match on PE's here but most of
the misconception is upon the ME's who think everything must be stamped,
shop drawings included.  I've even seen reference to NICET III Automatic
Sprinklers being responsible for design of underground fire mains, (which is
way off since water lines are designed and laid out by the CE and show on
utility drawings in our projects).  Overall there is just a huge lack of
understanding within the A/E community when it comes to EVERYTHING related
to fire protection.

What will help is if you as a contractor are familiar with the State laws
regarding submittal/shop drawing preparation and submissions and have at the
ready, chapter and verse from the applicable state laws related to what is
to be stamped and what does not require a PE seal.   I've had to dig through
many a state requirements to prove that in 9 out of 10 cases no PE seal was
required on the sprinkler contractor shop drawings.

Finding the info is not always easy.  Some state web sites are great, some
are worthless.  In those cases, pick up the phone and make a call and get
the reference.

Craig P