I explained the 3 options to the EOR and the AHJ

1) Add on as is and go over 52K
2) run a new system from the supply manifold
3) tie both of the small areas into an existing 3rd system in the riser
room that is much smaller.

BOTH of them opted for the larger system so there is no confusion when
working on the systems in the future. You cannot see the building so it is
hard for you to see it, but in THIS PARTICULAR case, I not only think it is
the best option for the owner, I will be able to sleep tonight because if
there ever is a fire in this school, system failure will certainly not come
form the extra square footage.

I think I have done my job and asked the right people what they want to do
and I will use their answer gladly. I am a stickler for doing things right
to protect my rear end and I don't think this one is a gamble. If I did, I
certainly wouldn't advertise it on the forum.

Greg


On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 2:49 PM, Bill Brooks <[email protected]>wrote:

> NFPA 13, 1.5 (2007) requires TECHNICAL documentation.  I believe you must
> demonstrate equivalency.  Would it be water flow alarm is just as fast?
> Would it be that fire control is comparable?  Would it be that overall
> reliability is the same?  The first can be answered by timing the signal
> with the bigger system, the second could be answered by submission of
> hydraulic calculations, but the third is unanswerable unless you and the
> rest of us know what factors went into the 52,000 sq ft requirement in the
> first place.  We all know it's OK to have a single valve control 52,000 sq
> ft of LH/OH system, but at 52,001 sq ft you are not equivalent.    I don't
> see how any of the factors you seem to have come up with will do that.
> You're actually asking for a Modification as described in IBC 2009, 104.10.
> Then perhaps your reasons have some merit and could be accepted.  But then
> again the language of 104.10 brings in the term "does not lessen".
>
> Bill Brooks
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: 
<http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/private/sprinklerforum/attachments/20120106/ddd40289/attachment.html>
_______________________________________________
Sprinklerforum mailing list
[email protected]
http://fireball.firesprinkler.org/mailman/listinfo/sprinklerforum

Reply via email to