Well, it's a nursing home in PA so it's under the 1999 edition of 13 for the
addition we're pricing.
HOWEVER, the original system has a NICET IV signing off that it's in accordance
with the 1994 edition, despite the 4 small gridded piping configurations in the
existing dry system. Installed in 1999, and has pinholes, as a separate issue.
Obviously, with four dry grids within the system:
a) it's NOT in accordance with 1994 NFPA 13 "dry grids shall not be installed".
b) I'd suspect a long trip and water delivery time based on:
        1. Presence of dry grids (90% of which have extended trip times, volume
is 778 gallons.
        2. Waterflow test is 51 static, 40 at 920. Not exactly the big hammer
I'd like to see if I was trying to deliver water to the ITC in 60 seconds.
This is a nursing home, one dry system with sprigs up to SSU's and dry pendents
down to protect the patient rooms (eventually).
Of course we've got the added bonus of 1999 CSC GB sprinklers, and no
indication of they used SR or QR sprinklers. This was based on 1994, and it was
1996 that required QR in Light hazard, so I'll assume they didn't use QRs.
Hence the "eventually" editorial observation, imagine SR GB dry pendents
(there's a 1-2 punch for ya- they'll operate slowly as SR's, they may not
operate, they have less than 60 PSI static and less in air pressure trying to
push the ORing out, and they're dry pendents, with all the lack of reliability
they exhibit. Add Pinholes as an added feature, and maybe the usual scale from
black steel pipe in a dry system. Betcha the sprigs to SSU's go straight up,
not cocked to match the 5/12 roof slope, I'll give 2:1 odds. Note I also saw
pendent sprinklers in the mech room, screwed directly into the bottom of the
exposed branchlines where, at a minimum, return bends would have been required.

Does anyone else believe that AHJs like Architects and BCOs give too much
credit to sprinkler contractors in general to install systems correctly? Sure
the code is complex. Sure BCO's are trained in the IBC, not 13. So where in
that does the AHJ transfer his regulatory oversight to making sure a system is
installed per 13?

Owner is a really great guy. I really don't look forward to giving him our
findings on the existing, in which we're starting down the path of pinhole
remediation, but what can we do? Its installed, and the statute of limitations
has, I believe, run out. We will suggest he approach the original installer and
ask if they'll fix the deficiencies since its obvious on paper they were wrong.
If they want to protect their reputation, they will; if not, too late for a
suit. News publicity would only detract from the public's impression of the
reliability of sprinkler systems in general, not good for the industry, and not
good for the reputation of this home as a safe place.

Hope someone changed out the GB's under the VRP or perhaps he will have a leg
to stand on when trying to have at least some of the remediation fixed. If
they've been doing ITM work, and didn't note the VRP sprinklers, I'd call them
negligent if I was entitled to an opinion. Should be an interesting meeting,
should we and the Owner and the original installer all sit down for coffee,
doughnuts, and "what were you thinking?" and "are you going to come back and
fix this stuff?".

George L.  Church, Jr., CET
Rowe Sprinkler Systems, Inc.
PO Box 407, Middleburg, PA 17842