i don't get it yet Ed. luckily it is after hours so i don't have to. Are the 2 key points "normally energized" and "all but 1 link knocked out"?

Quoting Ed Vining <edvinin...@gmail.com>:

A story I have repeated often.  Sometime after Adam was kicked out of Eden
KQED TV in San Francisco had an event.  Fairly new preaction system.
 Normally energized solenoid to trip double interlocked system.  Battery
backup for the system.  Power failure lasting some time.  Person on duty
hears water running under raised floor.  Call water department.  They say
call fire department.  28 sprinklers are flowing on the stage and in the
auditorium.  PA valve in locked room.  No key on premises.  FD won't break
down door, as there is no fire.  Building engineer arrives two hours into
the event and turns off water.

Ed responds to find all this mess, and oddly enough 28 open sprinks and one
intact.  Finds out later that the sprinkler foreman on this job had just
done a deluge system at the airport.  Same equipment, same manufacturer.  At
the end of installation he had the apprentice knock out all the links.  Of
course he missed one.  Total exposure carpet, plush seats, close to
$900,000 in color cameras and the like.  Total damage $20,000.  Of course
those were 1970's dollars, but so were the $900,000

Ed Vining
4819 John Muir Rd
Martinez CA 94553
925-228-8792