Dewayne, I had a short off-Forum debate with a friend when the AFSA release
came out- citing we MUST address known problems when we're aware of them. I
would debate that all day if I had the time.
On a parallel of when TIA's apply- CMS uses the 1999 edition on a certain date
for nursing homes nationwide- or at least the ones that want Medicare/Medicaid
reimbursements. Discussions direct with CMS made it clear that they enforce
that date of the 1999 #13 and NOTHING ELSE matters. A case was attempted to be
made that more recent editions of #13 are simply a conglomeration of all the
TIAs from prior editions...it went nowhere with CMS, and the pitch was made by
a nationally respected FPE and former member of the Standards Council.

With that in mind, if I had the right to an opinion, it would be that unless
your AHJ has adopted the TIAs they are not LAW. Now any fool of a contractor I
would HOPE would not induce any antifreeze above the concentrations NFPA's
testing didn't show as safe, since that COULD, again IMHO if I had one, bring
in NEGLIGENCE, RECKLESS STUPIDITY, or other things that might land a sprinkler
contractor in jail or without a business or other assets due to a judge or jury
wondering how someone could kill another with a sprinkler system.

I no longer have any limits on how stupid I believe some of us contractors can
be. Wish I could report a better state of the industry, but I can't. So I
wouldn't worry about the lack of UL listing, but don't induce anything that
goes BOOM and if I were your attorney, I'd be ok. But I'm a sprinkler
contractor, and while I play PE without a license way too often, I don't give
legal advice without caveats to consult with the guy who would be at the table
with you trying to keep your butt out of jail. You can't make enough on any job
to risk losing your freedom or all your assets.

George L.  Church, Jr., CET
Rowe Sprinkler Systems, Inc.
PO Box 407, Middleburg, PA 17842
877-324-ROWE       570-837-6335 fax