From: sprinklerforum-boun...@firesprinkler.org
[mailto:sprinklerforum-boun...@firesprinkler.org] On Behalf Of Sprinkler
Academy - C Bilbo
Sent: Monday, November 12, 2012 3:13 PM
To: FORUM
Subject: RE: 20 PSI Minimum

The requirement is part of the Clean Water Act and has been mandated as part of
Federal Law.  It is adopted and enforced by every US State's EPA (or
equivalent).  You can draw the pressure in potable water supplies below 20 psi
but then you must issue a boil order and provide evidence that the weater is
not contaminated.  There are some VERY hefty fines associated with
non-compliance. And to Ron's point, not everyone enforces the rules so
heavily......

The pressure limiting devices (PLD's) that throttle work very well for such
circumstances.

So Tim, if your system's calculated demand flow would draw the city water
supply in the street to a pressure below 20 psi, you'll need to weigh the cost
of a PLD or a tank (or find a way to get the demand flow down!)

It should be recognized that the above is my opinion as a member of the NFPA,
and has not been processed as a formal interpretation in accordance with the
NFPA Regulations Governing Committee Projects and should therefore not be
considered, nor relied upon, as the official position of the the NFPA, nor any
of their technical committees.

Sincerely,

Cecil Bilbo
Academy of Fire Sprinkler Technology