Excellent idea also George, especially in this case, which is oil tanker
trucks transferring oil to rail tank cars! Thank you.

-----Original Message-----
From: George Church [mailto:g...@rowesprinkler.com]
Sent: Friday, May 17, 2013 11:36 AM
To: sprinklerforum@lists.firesprinkler.org
Subject: Re: NFPA 22 2013 Water storage re-fill time.

Owner can have an agreement with one (or more) local tanker company to
respond with x number of trucks to fill in 8. Heckuva lot cheaper than
redundant or double sized tank.

This should qualify as a means to fill in 8.

Sent from my iPhone

On May 17, 2013, at 9:50 AM, "Morey, Mike" <mo...@bmwc.com> wrote:

> From NFPA 22 2012:
> 14.4.1 A permanent pipe connected to a water supply shall be provided to
fill the tank, except as provided in 14.4.1.1.

> 14.4.1.1 Where a permanent water supply is not available to refill the
tank, an approved plan shall be permitted for manually refilling the tank.

> 14.4.1.2 During the time that the tank does not have sufficient capacity
to meet the demand of the fire protection system(s), the impairment
procedures of NFPA 25 shall be followed.

> I would suggest maybe you consider (required supply GPM for NFPA duration)
- (flow rate of filling source x 8 hr) reserve water in your pond which all
but mitigates these requirements anyways, since it sounds like expanding the
pond isn't out of the question.  In which case your plan would be "if we
have a fire within 3 days of the first fire we'll hire a company to truck in
water and evacuate and impair the building per NFPA 25 until the water
arrives" and then file that plan away under "things that will probably never
happen, but just in case".

> Mike Morey, SET, CFPS
> Sprinkler Designer
> BMW Constructors, Inc.