Thanks to you all for FINALLY clearing this issue up. I have chased this
rainbow for about 40 years and have never been able to find the restriction
in any code and thought I could challenge it, but alas, my customers failed
to follow me and said just do what makes them happy. And we are still doing
just that, making them happy. It seems once one AHJ gets away with it,
(with all due respect to AHJ's) it becomes law.

Lamar Vaughn, SET