IBC 2009 and beyond have incorporated at least some reference standard for pool
suction safety, if not specific language.

Todd G Williams, PE Fire Protection Design/Consulting Stonington, CT 860-535-2080 (ofc) 860-608-4559 (cell) Sent using CloudMagic [https://cloudmagic.com/k/d/mailapp?ct=ti&cv=6.0.64&pv=8.2] On Mon, Mar 7, 2016 at 12:08 PM, Richard Mote <rich...@rowesprinkler.com> wrote: This project is an existing building (church) in the middle of nowhere being
converted to a drug and alcohol rehabilitation facility. Since there is now
going to be people living in the building, the AHJ is requiring the facility be sprinklered. We have quoted both an underground tank and above ground tank for the water supply. We only need around 12,000 gallons for a water supply. The owner now is coming back and saying "for the price of either tank arrangement I can put in a therapy pool". The last one we did had signs all around the pool, that when the alarm sounded they were to exit the pool immediately. We would
also make it clear in our proposal that if they convert to salt water all
warrantees are void.

Richard L. Mote CET
Rowe Sprinkler Systems, Inc.

-----Original Message-----
From: Sprinklerforum [mailto:sprinklerforum-boun...@lists.firesprinkler.org] On
Behalf Of Joe
Sent: Monday, March 07, 2016 11:54 AM
To: sprinklerforum@lists.firesprinkler.org
Subject: Re: Pool as Firewater Source

Just something for an owner to think about: I saw one of these in a huge resort in the middle of nowhere. All of the sprinkler lines had issues in all of the
buildings.

Over time, the management and the engineering staff had changed loosing
knowledge of the systems. The chlorine pool became a salt water pool and this cycle changed a few times. All of this did appear to add to the sprinkler line
issues.

Replacement of all the sprinkler lines in a finished was a bit costly.