From: Sprinklerforum [mailto:sprinklerforum-boun...@lists.firesprinkler.org] On
Behalf Of Roland Huggins
Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2016 2:46 PM
To: sprinklerforum@lists.firesprinkler.org
Subject: Re: Forward Flow for a Backflow Preventer

I did an article in Sprinkler Age (2013 but not sure which issue) on ow to
calculate it as well as other options for the forward flow test.

Roland

Roland Huggins, PE - VP Engineering
American Fire Sprinkler Assn.       ---      Fire Sprinklers Saves Lives
Dallas, TX
http://www.firesprinkler.org <http://www.firesprinkler.org/>

> On Apr 26, 2016, at 10:15 AM, James Crawford <jcrawf...@phaserfire.ca> wrote:
>
> I know this has been discussed but can’t seem to find it.
>

> NFPA #13 (2013) 8.17.4.6.1 Means shall be provided downstream of all
> backflow prevention valves for flow tests at system demand.
>

> We have a small office system, system demand 160 gpm, we have 100 psi
> static pressure, the system has a 2 ˝” riser so a 1 Ľ” drain, how much
> water can we get out of an 1 Ľ” drain?
>

> Is there anything out there to help determine the size and or number
> of outlets required to forward flow at different system demands?
>

> Thank you
>

> James Crawford
>
> Phaser Fire Protection Ltd.
>
> Phone  604-888-0318