*Escondido, California 92025
*****Phone 760-745-6181*
Visit the website <http://www.parsleyconsulting.com/> ***
On 10/24/2017 12:59 PM, Welch, Bobby wrote:

I know that the building requires 1,500 gpm because it is a fully sprinklered building and it is only 38,000 square feet. And I know the number of hydrants, there are two and per the table C105.1 they require 2,000 – 2,250 gpm. I just don’t understand how this has to be calculated would I have each hydrant flowing 1,000 gpm at 20 psi and have a flowing node at the building feed flowing the sprinkler system gpm and psi?

*From:*Sprinklerforum [mailto:sprinklerforum-boun...@lists.firesprinkler.org] *On Behalf Of *Parsley Consulting
*Sent:* Tuesday, October 24, 2017 3:54 PM
*To:* sprinklerforum@lists.firesprinkler.org; Welch, Bobby <bobby.we...@veteranfireprotection.com>
*Subject:* Re: Underground Main

there

Bobby,

Not sure which area you're working in, however there is an appendix B to the IFC or it's variants which shows how much fire flow is required for a building based on it's square footage and construction type, with the required pressure being 20 psi at the hydrant, at least in the IFC and CFC I've worked with.

The number of hydrants required to deliver that flow is established in the next appendix, C.

As I'm the soon-to- be ex-chair of the NFPA 24 committee please see the disclaimer below.

*Ken Wagoner, SET
**Parsley Consulting**
350 West 9th Avenue, Suite 206
Escondido, California 92025
**Phone 760-745-6181
**Visit the website
<http://www.parsleyconsulting.com/>
IMPORTANT NOTICE: This correspondence is not a Formal Interpretation issued pursuant to NFPA Regulations. Any opinion expressed is the personal opinion of the author and does not necessarily represent the official position of the NFPA or its Technical Committees. In addition, this correspondence is neither intended, nor should it be relied upon, to provide professional consultation or services

It should be noted that the above is my opinion as a member of the NFPA Installation of Private Fire Service Mains and their Appurtenances Committee in accordance with the NFPA Regulations Governing Committee Projects and should therefore not be considered, nor relied upon, as the official position of the NFPA or its Committees

<http://www.parsleyconsulting.com/>*