You don’t draw a main down to zero at a fire. While I’ve pumped enough water so
that intake gauge on my pump panel is just a couple psig above zero, the
pressure at the main is higher. There is friction loss in the barrel of the
hydrant, at that hard right angle it take leaving the and in the soft suction
(supply) line (hose), and maybe even a theoretical loss in the pump inlet.

That said, when you are down this low, and you are using a short piece of hose
without kinks, pressure at the main is less than 20psi.

So where does 20 psi come from? I am not going to quote chapter and verse, but
if you move over to the AWWA side of the world, including whoever enforces
clean drinking water in your state or province, 20psi is nearly holy writ. One
goal is to keep any leaks flowing clean water into the soil and keeping dirty
water out of the pipes. A sanitary sewer joint might be only 10 ft away. It is
guaranteed that a few leak.

So once this is established in their world everyone uses it. Gaskets in slip on
joints have to be designed and tested so that at the low end they seal at 20
psi, and so on.

You will see this number appear in standards talking about connections
supplying fire pumps.

Until there is smoke the water main system belongs to the water purveyor. Even
when there’s smoke they are just letting us use it.

Best

Bruce Verhei