The likelihood and cost/benefit analysis is a debate that should be happening
at the building code development and adoption phases when determining what the
minimum code requirements should be in the building codes and standards.

You may want to consider that public buildings that are funded by taxpayers are
a community investment of resources which should be protected against fire and
other hazards to be more resilient and durable to make the most of the
investment of community resources, especially since reconstructing a new public
building in future dollars is generally more expensive.  Fire and other natural
disasters like earthquakes can be a low likelihood event when considering
building code requirements, but when it happens, we don't want to rebuild from
scratch, especially when it comes to big buildings and important buildings.
Fires can also be an immediate secondary event after an earthquake where
multiple simultaneous fires occur to add to the chaos and destruction with
emergency services stretched thin... and other things like this happen as
reported at
http://www.historynet.com/the-great-1906-san-francisco-earthquake-and-fire.htm:
 "One of the first casualties was Fire Chief Engineer Dennis T. Sullivan, who
was mortally wounded when a chimney from the California Theater smashed without
warning into the fire station where he was living. The fire department, faced
with the greatest crisis in its history, was effectively decapitated."

Predicting how owners will actually use the building and what future contents
will be in the building is hard.  I would point out that in many cases, public
school buildings that were not designed as emergency shelters are often used as
emergency shelters and can be found with various other potentially
unanticipated uses ranging from voting stations to weekend religious services
to student sleep-ins.  I would also highlight that NFPA 13 annex guidance on
storage commodity classifications finally/recently changed to catch up with the
reality of modern storage and packaging due to the uses of higher BTU plastics
replacing the traditional materials prevalent when the previous annex guidance
was first put in the standard.

On a relate note, we have even had difficulties in the past convincing some
local jurisdictions that resisted protecting fire stations with fire sprinklers
when the building codes clearly require them to be sprinklered [when budget
concerns and possibly some fire service hubris combined].  We had to educate
them on both the legal requirements and the reasoning behind the code
requirements and the political reality of trying to get it rebuilt if it did
burn down after we had told them it was required to be protected by
sprinklers...  PS:  Google fires in fire stations to get link to articles like
this:  http://mentalfloss.com/article/22704/do-fire-stations-ever-catch-fire

Respectfully,

David Blackwell

David Blackwell, P.E.
Chief Engineer
(803)896-9833

Office of State Fire Marshal
141 Monticello Trail | Columbia, SC 29203
http://statefire.llr.sc.gov/
(803)896-9800

"Our firefighting starts with plan review..."