This is being done per the 2010 edition before that text was added. The only
requirements I see in that version for a check valve is if you are connecting
to a combination sprinkler standpipe riser (and if the zone valves are
interconnected).

My question was more of an operational one as opposed to a Code one. Are two
flow switches on different branches in close proximity subject to simultaneous
operation?

 Todd G Williams, PE
Fire Protection Design/Consulting

Stonington, CT