Don't know about ALTER TABLE, but having native corelated subqueries
support would save on code and possibly speed up getting at the end result
greatly.

Vijay

----- Forwarded by Vijay S Tenneti/Europe/Group 1 Software Europe Ltd on
21/04/2004 18:46 -----

             Puneet Kishor
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             org>                                                       To
                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
             21/04/2004 16:23                                           cc
                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED],
                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [sqlite] suggestion

On Apr 21, 2004, at 8:37 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Puneet Kishor wrote:
>
>> my guess is because it can be done other ways (see the docs on this
>> specifically), and the idea is to keep SQLite as simple as possible.
>> The
>> more "conveniences" that are added to it, the more complicated it will
>> become.
>
>> Usually, once the database is set, there is little reason to ALTER
>> it...
>> it all boils down to ROI...
>
> I beg to differ concerning the last point. Adding MORE sql commands is
> not a
> convenience

Basil,

I am simply speculating. Why really ALTER TABLE doesn't exist only
Richard can definitively answer.

That said, in the spirit of discussion, this thread could possibly
influence Richard (or not). So, here is my take --

> but rather can save hundreds to thousands of lines of code!!! I have
> been
> programming in

I can't visualize a scenario where an ALTER TABLE command would save
100s-1000s of lines of code, but that could be my failing. According to
the docs (and from my basic SQL knowledge) it seems I would save about
5 lines of code if I had an ALTER table command. If I am using a
scripting language, it would be a suitable function that I could call
at will.

That said, would I welcome an ALTER TABLE command? Absolutely. I use
databases primarily as data stores for web apps, and I am constantly
modifying the tables because I am a firm adherent to the "design by the
seat of my pants" school. I find MS-Access to be a particularly
wonderful database for web app development. It offers easy and
convenient modification to tables, a diagramming view where I can make
or break relationships, quick querying, etc. Once everything is done, I
can always migrate the db to SQL Server or Oracle or MySQL. I sincerely
wish there were something like that on my Mac. The new version of
Filemaker offers a really nice relationship builder interface, its
other shortcomings notwithstanding.

SQL Server's Enterprise Manager is nice, but not quite. And Oracle's
Java tools, at least the ones I have used... well, they defy the
definition of good taste and sensibility. Suffice it to say that I
would not have survived without TOAD.

The thing here is... all these products take a long time to develop.
They are expensive -- even Access and FM Pro are $300+. Richard's
product is free. I am not quite sure how he makes money doing this, but
I am very glad for his gift to us all. SQLite is wonderful, but given
what I assume are few resources, my sense is that he is applying it
toward developing the basic capabilities of the database, especially if
certain "convenient" tasks can be done via not so cumbersome
alternatives.

Btw, I have a question that I can't find an answer to --

Is Richard the only developer of SQLite? There are many very
knowledgeable sounding C and db type folks on this list, but I would be
curious to know more about the "core developers" of SQLite, if there
are any besides him. I would like to know this for my own
gratification, for knowing who to thank in my prayers, and also as
background knowledge on SQLite when trying to justify it for a project.

Regards.