> As someone mentioned in a different part of this thread, the issue is
> centralization.  If you have multiple decentralied machines generating
> UUIDs you *could* have collisions, but if you pick your UUID scheme well
> enough collisions will be extremely rare, on par with things like data
> loss from hardware failure.
>
> Of course if you generate all your UUIDs on one machine (as you do when
> you call getUUID() on a single machine) you get guaranteed collision
> avoidance.

You would only get guaranteed collision avoidance if you kept track of every
UUID issued and checked for duplicates at time of issue to avoid duplication by
keeping a list of all the "used" identifiers.  I do not think that keeping
track of all the UUIDs issued to avoid duplication is part of the spec.  They
really should be called SRID's (somewhat random identifiers).