Behalf Of Richard Hipp
Sent: Thursday, July 13, 2017 4:22 PM
To: SQLite mailing list <sqlite-users@mailinglists.sqlite.org>
Subject: Re: [sqlite] Version 3.20.0 coming soon...

On 7/13/17, Dominique Pellé <dominique.pe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Looking at the description of the new SQLITE_PREPARE_PERSISTENT at
> https://sqlite.org/draft/c3ref/c_prepare_persistent.html
> it's not clear to me what are the benefits.
> Shouldn't the description say why it can be beneficial to use it or
> not?

That documentation is the contract of what  SQLITE_PREPARE_PERSISTENT is
suppose to do, so it needs to be a little vague in order to allow for changes
in the future.

In the current implementation, SQLITE_PREPARE_PERSISTENT avoids using lookaside
memory to store pieces of the prepared statement, to avoid soaking up all of
the fast lookaside memory and preventing it from being used for more useful
things.  But the effect of SQLITE_PREPARE_PERSISTENT might change in future
releases.  The key point (and the part of this interface that will not change)
is that SQLITE_PREPARE_PERSISTENT is a hint to SQLite that the prepared
statement is going to linger for a long time.

How would you recommend that be stated more clearly?

--
D. Richard Hipp
d...@sqlite.org

Confidentiality notice: This e-mail is intended solely for use of the
individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that
is proprietary, privileged, company confidential and/or exempt from disclosure
under applicable law. If the reader is not the intended recipient or agent
responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are
in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail or collect telephone call
and delete or destroy all copies of this e-mail message, any physical copies
made of this e-mail message and/or any file attachment(s).