> On Sep 7, 2017, at 1:38 AM, Paxdo <pa...@mac.com> wrote:
>
> But of course, someone who knows this checksum and its salt could make
> changes on the table and recalculate all checksums. :-(

Use digital signatures. I can think of two approaches:

(a) Sign each row. The program doing the insertion would need to know the
private key, while validation would require only the public key. The drawback
is that whoever does the insertion can later modify any row, although no one
else can.

(a) Use external signatures as official validation. Periodically have the
entity with the private key compute a digest of the entire data set and sign
that, adding the signature to the database. Anyone can regenerate that digest
and verify the signature. The drawback is that any recent additions since the
last signing aren't safe. And again, the entity with the private key can modify
anything.

To guard against modifications by the private-key owner, other parties can
remember previous signatures and raise a ruckus if they ever change in the
future.

—Jens