I'm using the standard shim, because I've been using it forever and first
head of APSW just a few days ago.  I'm guessing it should be pretty easy to
switch because I'm not doing anything weird.  All my columns are INTEGER or
CHAR, there are not even any foreign keys, although one of the two main
tables does contain primary keys (integer autoincrement primary key) of the
other.

I'm a little leery of switching on account of one crash, as it may weel be
an over-reaction.

On Sat, Sep 30, 2017 at 4:30 PM, Simon Slavin <slav...@bigfraud.org> wrote:

> On 30 Sep 2017, at 10:54pm, Kevin O'Gorman <kevinogorm...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Here's my prime suspect: I'm using WAL, and the journal is 543 MB.  I
> > hadn't given it much thought, but could this be more than the software
> > really wants to deal with?
>
> No SQLite.  Possibly something else you’re using.  I used to work daily
> with a 43 Gigabyte SQLite database.  And most of that space was used by one
> tall thin table.  SQLite has known limits and is not thoroughly tested near
> those limits (because nobody can afford to buy enough hardware to do it) ,
> but those limits are a lot more than half a Gigabyte.
>
> <https://sqlite.org/limits.html>
>
> A crash sometimes happens because the programmer continues to call sqlite_
> routines after one of them has already reported a problem.  Are you
> checking the values returned by all sqlite_() calls to see that it is
> SQLITE_OK ?  You may have to learn how your Python shim works to know: it
> may interpret other results as "catch" triggers or some equivalent.
>
> Are you using the standard Python shim or APSW ?  The standard Python shim
> does complicated magic to make SQLite behave the way Python wants it to
> behave.  This complication can make it difficult to track down faults.  You
> might instead want to try APSW:
>
> <https://rogerbinns.github.io/apsw/>
>
> This is an extremely thin shim that does almost nothing itself.  That
> makes it easy to track down all errors to a Python problem or a SQLite
> problem.  I’m not saying we can’t help with the standard Python import,
> just that it’s a little more complicated.
>
> Simon.

word of the year: *kakistocracy*