OP wrote:

> CREATE TABLE f (fid VARCHAR, path VARCHAR, meta VARCHAR, mtime INTEGER,
> virtual INTEGER, pfid VARCHAR, type VARCHAR, ts INTEGER);

Is this the first content of a new file ?  If so, SQLite has to create the file
and write some structure information as well as writing the table.  I suspect
that the time taken for the overhead is far more than the time taken for the
CREATE command.

Could you try changing f.sql to create ten tables ?  For example create the
table "f1 as above then create tables "f2" to "f1" with the same columns ?  It
would be interesting to see what this does to both timings.

Simon.