In the meantime I found this discussion from 2011 about sqlite on CIFS:
http://sqlite.1065341.n5.nabble.com/How-to-make-SQLite-run-safely-on-CIFS-mounted-file-system-tt37415.html#none

Basically using any networked filesystem as a backing store for sqlite is
madness? I imagine not much about that changed in the last 7 years.

Using the per-host-file-messaging as a communication channel to a single
master that also exports the NFS doesn't seem that outlandish any more.