Read all of this repeatedly.  Excellent post.

But if your nfs solution is configured not to lie, to honour lock and sync

Had to pop up here briefly. I ran into a number of problems with nfs
clients of various types wherein the most brutal would be VMware ESXi
hosts.  Running backend network attached storage from Oracle which is
actually based on Solaris with ZFS can be terrifying if the actual
disk controllers are doing cache at all.  ZFS is a filesystem that uses
tons of memory for cache and actual flush of writes to on disk happens
long after a given IO operation has long since been complete. Migration
away from NFS to iSCSI was a smart choice and I wonder if you have any
iSCSI attached devices and what have you seen ?

Dennis