"Fred Williams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Ah the sticky wicket that is "Type less" :-)  We now have issues
> evolving as a direct result of that feature in our cute little database.
> We now seem to have by backing into it: Really Restricted Integer, Real,
> DateTime (sort of), and Text.  BLOB and CLOB away at your own risk!
>
> Is it time to officially declare/fully support some Types and clear the
> air?

SQLite is not "type-less".  It uses manifest or dynamic typing instead
of static-typing which is what most other SQL database engines use
(and the SQL standard specifies).  Manifest or dynamic typing is a
superset of static typing.  The use of static typing in the SQL standard
is a bug in that standard, in my view, than unnecessarily complicates
and restricts what you can do with SQL.  The original SQL standard
specifies static typing so that implementations can use fixed-size
records.  Static typing is an artifact of the implementation showing
through into the interface.  Static typing in SQL is designed not to
help the users of SQL databases, but rather to help the implementors
of SQL database engines.

SQLite is the only SQL database engine that I am aware of that offers
dynamic typing.  This is not going to change.

The difficult faced by SQLite is not how to deal with a dynamically
typed language (that's easy) but how to deal with a dynamic typing
in a way that is backwards compatible with the (broken) static typing
behavior of SQL.  That is much harder.  But it is achievable, I think.

--
D. Richard Hipp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>