1/3.

Store that mysql.... ;-) Or what about PI? Or the square root of 10?

Not all reals can be represented as fractions either. Surd-tastic. Whilst computers are finite state machines such approximations are the most reasonable compromise between accuracy and performance. Or should that be practicality and stupidity?

Changing to some super-duper as yet undefined and nebulous system is an entertaining thought, but impractical. Besides, discrete integer based models are perfectly valid and require representation in databases.

I believe however that reducing the boundaries between integer and real might have its real world drawbacks. Seems to me a flexible 'number' format might be more appropriate. Worrying about number formats is something thats really only truly important when you use mathematical operations in the virtual machine. If one couldn't distinguish between the outcome of basic operations based on its type, then one needs to distinguish between them by name.

Regards

Dave.