> No, but I would bet somewhere near the 90%+ range are "commercial"
> applications, requiring the management of fixed point bankers
> ("European" or "English") rounding numeric data.

I've been writing commercial applications for about 20 years now,
including 10 years on payroll applications for the Marine Corps and
insurance apps for civilians, and I've never used "banking rounding".

> Why should the many suffer for the benefit of the few?

Well, first prove it's a many to few relationship, a fact not currently
in evidence.

Second, why should the database care at all, when there are plenty of
libraries out there that can handle it just fine.

> BCD ain't rocket science.  I learned the concept in the Military many
years ago.

If by BCD you mean Binary Coded Decimal, or Cobol's Comp-3, (which is
what *my* military experience remembers it as), I fail to see any
connection, other than "they did it that way back when...", between the
storage format and a method for rounding.

> Many database engines are beginning to support the data type in some
manner,
> with few calling it BCD.

A fact that is completely irrelevant when discussing mathematical
operations on those data types.

Brad