> On Sep 8, 2019, at 2:12 PM, Philippe RIO <51...@protonmail.ch> wrote:
>
> I use the windows task manager to see how the memory is used

I don't use Windows, but I know that in any modern OS, memory usage is a very
vague thing and is tricky to measure. There are quite a few numbers that mean
different things, like
- actual RAM in use by the process
- virtual address space allocated
- address space with backing store assigned to it
- address space not being shared with other processes
- address space that's writeable
- address space used for 'malloc' heaps
- address space actually in use in heaps
etc.

I find that when looking at memory usage of a program I'm working on, the stats
related to heap space are the most useful because they correspond with memory
my code is involved in allocating and managing.  The farther up that list you
go, the more you see the effects of things like memory-mapped I/O, shared
library sizes, filesystem caches, and other things that are usually out of your
control.

Specific to SQLite: it's usually pretty easy to manage the amount of memory it
uses because most of it is block caches, which you can customize the size of
yourself with pragmas.

—Jens