Right now sqlite database files are portable across systems as-is.
You're proposing they should need to be explicitly prepared for
transport?  Remember, the risk is silent data corruption.  This is not
a trivial matter.

Well, I do understand that Unicode standard is quite a complicated
thing, but we got a little farther in the discussion than I originally
intended. My problem isn't that I'd like to transport SQLite database
between platforms, let's stay for example with Windows - as I already
wrote, if I create a database where I want to fully support Unicode
strings (including correct sorting), I have to define some custom
collation. This results in the fact that I can't open (or edit) the
database in any other DB application across Windows, because they
don't know the collation I defined. So, in fact, Unicode SQLite
databases aren't portable even within a single platform!

Jiri