On 6/28/07, Nuno Lucas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

It seems more natural to use the standard C locale names to me (the
usual "pt_PT" and "pt_BR" for  Portuguese/Portugal culture and
Portuguese/Brazil culture) , but I'm open to suggestions when that
problem arise, and I'm sure there are already standards we can follow
in relation to that.

RFCs 4646 and 4647 cover this convention.  They get rather verbose
about it, but it boils down to using ISO-defined language and country
codes in a particular format.  Most internet protocols (http etc) use
the same convention, so we'd be in good company.