On 7/30/07, Mitchell Vincent <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I've read a few places that it is not possible to change the encoding
> of a database once it's created. Is it possible to do it in some
> automated way with any of the command line utilities?

Read about the "pragma encoding" [1] SQL command (you just need to use
it before inserting any data). Note that the "encoding" is always
UNICODE, so you don't gain much with this pragma if you're from the
"western" part of the world

> I converted a database from SQLite 2.X to 3.X using sqlite.exe's .dump
> function and apparently didn't set the encoding correctly as any
> non-English text isn't accessible. I think I need to set the encoding
> to UTF8 now, though it "just worked" before, so I'm not sure what I
> accidentally did right the first time :-)

I don't think that is your problem. You were probably using a 2.x
database in "8-bit" mode, not UTF-8. Things can get ugly if you used
the UTF-8 library version on non-UTF-8 strings.

The only solution I can see is to use something like "iconv" to
translate the dump to UTF-8 before inserting the data into a 3.x
database. That can be more difficult than you think in case of
mismatched use of library versions.

Regards,
~Nuno Lucas